Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid provides grants, loans, and work-study to those students who may otherwise be unable to attend college. The amount and type of aid a student may receive depends on the availability of funds and the student’s established financial need.

Minimum Requirements for Eligibility
Must have a high school diploma or GED (A student who has not been awarded a high school diploma or GED may take an approved test to determine ability to benefit).

Must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen.

Must be meeting satisfactory academic progress, as defined in the Financial Aid Handbook.

Must be attending ACC for the purpose of obtaining a degree or program certificate, or be enrolled in a transfer program leading to a bachelor’s degree.

Must be enrolled for at least six hours each semester.

Check with the Campus Financial Aid Office for Pell Grant eligibility based on less than half-time status.

Male applicants who are at least 18 years old and born after December 31, 1960, must be registered with the Selective Service as required by federal regulations.

Transient students attending ACC for the summer semester only are not eligible for financial aid.

Applicants cannot be in default of a state or federal loan/or in repayment of a state or federal grant.

Application Procedures
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid paper application or file electronically on the web:
Complete the ACC Financial Aid Institutional Application available at the Campus Financial Aid Offices or on the web: - Click on the Student Services/Financial Aid link then Financial Aid Forms.
Submit high school grade transcripts or GED certificate to the Admissions Office. Copies of all college transcripts must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office and the Admissions and Records Office.
All hours attempted (including transfer hours) will be counted towards the maximum 85-hour time frame at Austin Community College; and the Admissions and Records Office must evaluate all transcripts.
Transfer students entering during the Spring or Summer semesters, must submit a Financial Aid Transcript for each postsecondary school attended whether financial aid was received or not.
Eligible noncitizens must provide proof of eligibility: I-94, I-551, I-151.
Students selected for verification must provide signed copies of federal income tax returns (Parents, Student/Spouse).
FAFSA workshops are offered at the campuses for students needing assistance in completing the form electronically. More information is available at the campus Financial Aid Offices.
Additional information is available in the Financial Aid Handbook.

Deadlines Priority Date to
Complete File
Summer Session March 15
Fall/Spring Semesters April 1
Spring Semester Only October 15

Students can still apply for financial aid after the priority deadlines. These deadlines are established to allow ample time for processing. Awards are made on a first-come first-served basis. Federal Pell and/or Federal Stafford Loan/PLUS applications will be processed after the priority dates. Late applicants should be prepared to meet initial expenses (tuition, fees, and books) from their own resources.

Return of Title IV Funds

What happens if I withdraw from all my classes?
As a result of the Reauthorization Act of 1998, a new federal refund policy will require a student to repay a portion of their financial aid that the student received but didn’t earn due to their complete withdrawal. The new law focuses on the return of Title IV funds (PELL, FSEOG, FFEL Loans, Perkins Loans) received for the time period during which the student was enrolled. The school will determine the percentage of Title IV assistance the student earned up through the 60 percent point in the semester. The student will then be responsible for paying back the unearned portion. If the student withdraws after the 60 percent point in the semester, there is no federal refund required. Check with the Financial aid office for more details.

Types of Aid Available

Federal Pell Grant is a federally funded program designed for undergraduate students obtaining their first bachelor’s degree. The amount of the Pell Grant depends on the student’s effective family contribution and the number of hours for which the student enrolls. The award will vary from $400 - $3,300. This grant does not have to be repaid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federally funded program established to assist students with exceptional need. Funds are limited, and there is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive this grant.

Austin Community College Student Grant (ACCSG)
is funded through tuition payments. Funds are limited, and there is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive this grant.

LEAP Grant is a combination of state and federal funds. Funds are limited, and there is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive this grant.

Austin Community College Tuition Assistance Program is established to assist economically disadvantaged students who reside in the ACC District service area. It is designed to provide assistance to pay tuition and fees beyond the level of an in-district student. Economically disadvantaged students will be defined as students who meet the Federal Eligibility for PELL Grant. For PELL eligible students, this assistance will only be awarded if the PELL grant funds are not available at the time tuition payment is due. An eligible student may receive assistance to pay for tuition and fees beyond the level of an in-district student.

Texas Tuition Assistance Grant (TTAG)
is a grant award funded through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student must be a Texas resident, be enrolled on a full time basis, must show financial need (low income), must have graduated from a secondary school within the last two years, and must have a secondary (high school) GPA equal to or greater than the equivalent of 80 on a scale of 100. Available for renewal students only.

Texas Grant Fund is a grant funded through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student must be a Texas resident, be a graduate of a public or accredited private high school in Texas, graduated not earlier than 1998-99 school year, completed the recommended or advanced high school curriculum and have financial need or have received an associate degree from an eligible institution no earlier than May 1, 2001 and must re-enroll within 12 months of receiving that degree. Check with the financial aid office for additional requirements.

Texas New Horizon Scholarship is a grant funded through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student must be a Texas resident, be enrolled at least in a half time status, must meet the academic progress requirements of the institution. Please check with the Financial Aid Office for additional requirements.
Non-Texas residents should check with their home state for additional information or other state programs.


Loans must be repaid. Students who are awarded any loan under the Federal Educational Loan Program (FELP), will need to attend a pre-loan counseling session. This session provides additional information about the loan programs, monthly repayment, deferments, grace period, and cancellations.

Federal Subsidized Stafford Student Loan is insured by the federal government. This has a variable interest rate with a six-month grace period, and minimum monthly repayment of $50. Depending on the student’s established need, up to $2,625 may be borrowed during the freshman year, $3,500 during sophomore year. Contact the ACC Financial Aid Office for required forms and additional loan information.

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Student Loan is for students who meet all other eligibility requirements but do not qualify in whole or in part for a Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan. Students will be responsible for all interest that accrues on the loan from the date of disbursement forward.

Federal Parent Loan (PLUS) is available for parents of dependent students to help pay for school costs. The interest rate is a variable rate. Repayment of this loan begins 60 days after disbursement of funds. The parent chooses his/her lender. Applications and additional information are available at the Student Financial Aid Office.

College Access Loan (CAL)
is available to Texas residents enrolled halftime and in good academic standing. A co-signer is required. This is at 9% interest which will accrue (but not capitalize) during enrollment. Repayment begins 6 months after student ceases halftime enrollment. The loan is not need-based. Annual loan limit is $7,500.


College Work-Study is a federal or state campus based program offering students an opportunity to earn money through work. This is available to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. ACC pays an hourly rate beginning at $8.45 - $9.81. A work-study student may not work more than 19 hours per week.
All scholarships offered at ACC are made available by private donors. For more information regarding scholarships, contact the Student Financial Aid Office or the Scholarship website at


ACC Home Page Catalog Home Page