ACC General Catalog 1999-2000

Financial Aid and Veterans' Services

The Office of Student Financial Aid provides grants, loans, and work-study to those students who may otherwise be unable to attend college. The amount and type of aid a student may receive depends on the availability of funds and the student's established financial need.

Minimum Requirements for Eligibility

Must have a high school diploma or GED.
Must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen.
Must be meeting satisfactory academic progress, as defined in the Financial Aid Handbook.
Must be attending ACC for the purpose of obtaining a degree or program certificate, or be enrolled in a transfer program leading to a bachelor's degree.
Must be enrolled for at least six hours each semester.
Male applicants who are at least 18 years old and born after December 31, 1960, must be registered with the Selective Service as required by federal regulations.
Transient students attending ACC for the summer semester only are not eligible for financial aid.
You cannot be in default of a state or federal loan/or in repayment of a state or federal grant.

Application Procedures

Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the institutional application.
Submit high school grade transcripts or GED. - Eligible noncitizens must submit copy of VISA: I-94, I-551, I-151, 1-688.
- Transfer Students: Students who have attended other colleges besides ACC must submit financial aid transcripts (FAT) from each institution they have attended, regardless of whether or not financial aid was received. (Do not confuse FAT with academic transcripts.)
All grade transcripts need to be submitted to the ACC Office of Student Assistance and must be evaluated by the Office of Records and Registration. All transfer credit hours will be counted towards the maximum 85 hour time frame at Austin Community College.


Priority Date to Complete File

Summer Session

March 15

Fall/Spring Semesters

April 1

Spring Semester Only

October 15

Types of Aid Available


Federal Pell Grant is a federally funded program designed for undergraduate students obtaining their first bachelor's degree. The amount of the Pell Grant depends on the student's effective family contribution and the number of hours for which the student enrolls. The award will vary from $400 - $3,000. This grant does not have to be repaid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federally funded program established to assist students with exceptional need. Funds are limited, and there is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive this grant.

Austin Community College Student Grant (ACCSG) is funded through tuition payments. Funds are limited, and there is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive this grant.

State Student Incentive Grant (SSIG) is a combination of state and federal funds. Funds are limited, and there is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive this grant.

Austin Community College Tuition Assistance Program is established to assist economically disadvantaged students who reside in the ACC District service area. It is designed to provide assistance to pay tuition and fees beyond the level of an in-district student. Economically disadvantaged students will be defined as students who meet the Federal Eligibility for PELL Grant. For PELL eligible students, this assistance will only be awarded if the PELL grant funds are not available at the time tuition payment is due. An eligible student may receive assistance to pay for tuition and fees beyond the level of an in-district student.

Texas Tuition Assistance Grant (TTAG) is a grant award funded through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student must be a Texas resident, be enrolled on a full time basis, must show financial need (low income), must have graduated from a secondary school within the last two years, and must have a secondary (high school) GPA equal to or greater than the equivalent of 80 on a scale of 100. New entering freshmen and students who did not get awards in 1998-99 may not qualify.

Texas Grant Fund is a grant funded through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student must be a Texas resident, be a graduate of a public or accredited private high school in Texas, graduated not earlier than 1998-99 school year, completed the recommended or advanced high school curriculum and have financial need. Check with the financial aid office for additional requirements.

Texas New Horizon Scholarship is a grant funded through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student must be a Texas resident, be enrolled at least in a half time status, must meet the academic progress requirements of the institution. Please check with the Financial Aid Office for additional requirements.

Non-Texas residents should check with their home state for additional information or other state programs.


Loans must be repaid. Students who are awarded any loan under the Federal Educational Loan Program (FELP), will need to attend a pre-loan counseling session. This session provides additional information about the loan programs, monthly repayment, deferments, grace period, and cancellations.

Federal Subsidized Stafford Student Loan is insured by the federal government. This has a variable interest rate with a six-month grace period, and minimum monthly repayment of $50. Depending on the student's established need, up to $2,625 may be borrowed during the freshman year, $3,500 during sophomore year. Contact the ACC Financial Aid Office for required forms and additional loan information.

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Student Loan is for students who meet all other eligibility requirements but do not qualify in whole or in part for a Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan. Students will be responsible for all interest that accrues on the loan from the date of disbursement forward.

Federal Parent Loan (PLUS) is available for parents of dependent students to help pay for school costs. The interest rate is a variable rate. Repayment of this loan begins 60 days after disbursement of funds. The parent chooses his/her lender. Applications and additional information are available at the Student Financial Aid Office.

College Access Loan (CAL) is available to Texas residents enrolled halftime and in good academic standing. A co-signer is required. This is at 9% interest which will accrue (but not capitalize) during enrollment. Repayment begins 6 months after student ceases halftime enrollment. The loan is not need-based. Annual loan limit is $7,500.


College Work-Study is a federal or state campus based program offering students an opportunity to earn money through work. This is available to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. ACC pays an hourly rate beginning at $6.97. A work-study student may not work more than 19 hours per week.


All scholarships offered at ACC are made available by private donors. For more information regarding scholarships, contact the Student Financial Aid Office.

Veterans' Services


All documentation must be submitted and the criteria met before certification for benefits will be processed. Check with the ACC Veterans Affairs Office for details.

Educational Objectives. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requires that each veteran receiving educational benefits be following an approved course of study which leads to an approved degree or vocational objective. A veteran may not receive payment for courses previously completed, for courses that are in excess of degree or certificate requirements, or for courses which do not apply to an approved degree or certificate.

Period of Certification. Veterans may be certified for both the Fall and Spring semesters during the fall registration, but must be certified for the summer semester separately. Certifications are processed after the official reporting date of the semester.

First-time Applicants will need to contact the VA Office at Northridge or Riverside campus.

All students receiving DVA Educational Benefits must submit official transcripts of all previous college education and/or vocational training. Veterans must also have their military training evaluated, if it is applicable to the educational objective (see Credit for Military Courses).

 Maintaining Eligibility

Reducing Course Load. It is the responsibility of the student receiving benefits to report any withdrawals to the ACC VA Office. Reduction in course load may cause a delay in monthly payments and a possible reimbursement of benefits as determined by the DVA Regional Office.

Satisfactory Progress. Satisfactory academic progress must be maintained. Enrollment does not guarantee eligibility for benefits. Check with the ACC VA Office for details about maintaining satisfactory progress.

Activation: You must activate your file every year by completing a VA institutional application to let us know that you want to claim benefits.

Summer Sessions, or Short Semester. Payment of benefits for semesters that are shorter in length than a normal fall or spring semester is based on the number of credit hours. Check with the ACC VA Office for details.

 Veterans Benefits Checks

When First VA Check Arrives. Veterans should not depend on the first DVA check arriving in time to pay for tuition, fees, and books. Veterans must have money for tuition and fees at the time of registration. After the ACC VA Office has submitted the enrollment certification to the DVA Regional Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma, allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

Advance Payment. Advance payment is intended to help students meet school-related expenses which are concentrated at the beginning of a term. Students wanting advance payment should apply with the ACC VA Office at least 40 working days before the semester begins.

Although this procedure allows the benefit to be paid in advance, the check cannot be released to the student until the tuition and fees have been paid in full. Please contact the ACC VA Office regarding eligibility requirements and regulations.

 Other Resources for Veterans

College Work-Study. Veterans may receive work-study under Ch. 30, 31, VEAP (32), 35 and 1606 if they are enrolled as full-time or three-quarter-time students, show financial need, and work-study positions are available. The student is entitled to minimum wage. The maximum number of hours a student may work will be based upon 25 times the number of weeks in the student's enrollment period (See more under VA Office).

Veterans and Veterans' Dependents-Hazlewood Act. Texas veterans who served in any war from the Spanish-American War up to and including the Cold War which began after the Korean Conflict fall under this Act. The children of persons killed while in the armed forces during the previously mentioned period and orphans of members of the Texas National Guard and Texas Air National Guard killed since January 1, 1946, while on active duty either in the service of their state or the United States may be eligible. Students must meet all Texas residency requirements. Refer to the current course schedule for application procedures and deadlines. Continuing Education students may not be eligible for exemption.

 Developmental Education Courses for Veterans

Not all Developmental Education courses are authorized for payment for DVA benefits. Approved Developmental Education courses may be used as prerequisites if required by the degree plan (English/Math) and if a need has been established based on assessment test results. For further information, please call the VA Office at Northridge.

NOTE: Veterans under Chapter 1606 (Reserve/Guard) are not authorized payment for Developmental Education courses, unless eligibility was established after October 1, 1990.

Office Locations. Students should check in the course schedule for campus office locations.

 Tuition Exemptions

Exemptions are provided at Austin Community College. Those in the following categories are eligible for exemption:

Highest Ranking High School Graduates (Valedictorians). Exemptions for tuition only are granted to those students who surrender a copy of their valedictorian certificate at registration. This exemption is only good for the first two consecutive long semesters after graduation from high school.

Blind and Deaf Students. The Texas Commission for the Blind or the Texas Commission for the Deaf will issue an authorization to the students if they are eligible. Eligible students must contact a Student Development, Special Services Office.

Children of Disabled Firefighters and Peace Officers. Children under 21 years of age are covered if there is a certificate on file with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A document obtained from this agency must be surrendered at registration.

Firefighters Enrolled in Fire Science Courses. A student must be employed as a full-time firefighter by any political subdivision of the state. A letter verifying employment and an authorization from the Fire Protection Technology Office at the Rio Grande campus listing approved courses must be surrendered at registration. (Exemption is for tuition and related lab fees only.)

Early College Start. Juniors and seniors enrolled in public high schools in ACC's service area are exempt from tuition and fees for up to two courses per semester with high school and parental permission.

Children of POWs and MIAs. To qualify for this exemption, a student must be under 21 (or under 25 if receiving major support from parents) and be a dependent of a person who is a domiciliary of Texas on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States and who at the time of registration is classified by the Department of Defense as a prisoner of war or missing in action.

Students on AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children) during senior year of high school. Exemption from payment of tuition and fees for one year. Student must provide proof of having received or been on AFDC for at least six months of year of high school graduation. Student must enroll in college within 12 months of high school graduation and must be younger than 22.

Early High School Graduates. Exemption from the payment of up to $1000 in tuition. Eligible students must contact the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Students in Foster or Other Residential Care. Exemption from payment of tuition and fees other than building use fees. Student must provide proof of having been in foster care or other residential care under the conservatorship of the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services on or after the day preceding the students 18th birthday. Student must enroll within 3 years of the date the student was discharged from foster or other residential care.

Tuition exemptions are not retroactive to a paid enrollment.

To receive information or to update files, contact Student Accounting in the Business Office at the ACC District Administrative Offices at 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, Veterans Affairs Office

The curriculum of the college has been approved for veterans' educational benefits by the Texas Workforce Commission.

Copyright © 1999, Austin Community College